Pull-up and Toes to Bar Movement Pattern Warm Up
- Get hot and sweaty
- Perform mobility techniques for the positions of stress in both the strict pull-up/Toes to Bar as well as for kipping. You will need to mobilize the overhead and press shape for the shoulder and the braced spinal neutral and global flexion/extension for the spine. Perform at least 30 seconds of soft tissue or sliding surface focused mobility for 2 minutes after your workout, and 2 minutes minimum for all joint mobilizations.
- Perform drills that facilitate a similar movement pattern that gradually allows you to increase the stress on the movement. The majority of problems with the shoulder in the pull-up/TTB movements are due to decreased muscular endurance in the shoulders, decreased mobility, and performing workouts beyond the capacity of your own mobility and motor control.
- Barbell Lat Smash
- PVC Pipe Pass through- unloaded and loaded
- Start with hands in a snatch position
- Keep spine neutral
- Pass PVC pipe over your head with the goal to touch your butt and bring it back around to the front of your pelvis- repeat 15 reps
- Bring your hands closer together- 15 reps
- Add weight (2.5/5 lb)and perform pass thoughts in the most comfortable but challenging position 15 reps
- Perform ½ reps where you only bring the PVC pipe and weight just past your hair line then back to the front of your pelvis
- Monkey Bar Hang from the Pull-up Bar (see video for scaled version)
- Hang on one arm for 3 seconds and then switch arms for 15 reps per arm. This is to help improve your range of motion and place your joint and soft tissue at a point of restriction
- This does take a lot of strength so try the scaled version first if this one makes you uncomfortable
Motor Control Drills- Goal: Switch it up from your usual warm up and provide gradual stress to the pulling motion and spinal postures these 2 movements require! Your athletes will thank you!!
- Kipping Ring Rows with feet on a box (as seen in Carl Paoli’s Free Style Book) are an excellent way to properly stress an athlete for a pull-up/T2B type workout. Performing this kipping motion slowly helps the athlete sequence the loading of the shoulders and spine during a pulling workout. Perform 20 reps, with the concentric and eccentric aspects of the motion should at 2 seconds. The ascent and descent of the movement total is 4 seconds
- Next practice proper pull-up or TTB progression on the rig Now that your tissues are warm, mobilized, and stressed sub maximally, you can increase the stress on the tissues even more from the rig in a more open chain position (feet off the ground).